THE TOWNHOUSE HOTEL
Welcome to Cape Town’s favourite stay for people on the go. Based in city central in the heart of Africa’s tourism capital, the Townhouse hotel is ideally located near Parliament and the historic Company Gardens, with the city’s top sights and facilities on its doorstep.
Each of Townhouse Hotel’s 107 luxurious rooms and suites feature modern décor and an en suite bathroom. Each room type has ironing facilities, a desk, and tea and coffee-making facilities with complimentary biscuits.
This four-star Cape Town hotel has a gourmet restaurant and a 24-hour room service menu. All rooms offer satellite TV and free wi-fi access. Table Mountain is 3 km away and Robben Island just a boat ride from the V&A Waterfront, which is 30 minutes' walk away.
The Houses of Parliament are across the road from the hotel and Long Street is 10 minutes’ walk away. The hotel is 18.5 km from Cape Town International Airport.
The Townhouse Hotel offers gourmet South African cuisine and a range of regional wines. Trees is a stylish 80-seater restaurant overlooking the uptown cityscape. Guests can kick off their mornings with a sunny breakfast or settle in at the fireside after dark for a dinner from an eclectic á la carte menu showcasing great South African flavours, with a global twist.
For the slightly less peckish there’s Trees Café, located in the lounge at street level, and a popular meeting place for casual lunch, a quick breakfast, snack, coffee or a quiet drink. Similarly there’s a Café menu or a self-serve option from a daily light lunch buffet. Finally, the bar also serves sundowners pre-theatre wines, beers and spirits.
The site of the hotel has seen more than 350 years of city history. Set over a stream that once fed ships and the Dutch Company Gardens, over time it has been a pasture, flour mill, part of a failed silk industry, a barracks, tavern and also the small Trocadero Hotel. Bought by the Petousis hoteling family in 1973, it would make way for the Dorpshuis and later, the 12-storey Townhouse. Today the 100-strong staff still represents the many cultures and nations that built the city of Cape Town. The motto? ‘Dare to care’.
Therefore a strong commitment to responsible hoteling exists. Many hotel devices and practices help conserve energy and water and waste is recycled. Only local, sustainably and ethically produced goods like wine, coffee, meats, seafood and stationery is used. A percentage of all conference delegates’ fees go to greening projects, like Greenpop, and the staff also assists with initiatives like beach clean-ups and community gardens.
The Townhouse Hotel’s social responsibility also extends to less advantaged Cape communities, where their Kids of the Cape Fund assists some 15 upliftment projects that provide child and youth refuge and care, education, skills-training, feeding and care of the disabled. Run by elected Hotel volunteers, the Fund also receives vital contributions from our guests who are encouraged to add a small donation to their account, then matched by the Hotel.
Townhouse Hotel has been welcoming guests since July 2010, where they have become used to a signature kind of uptown, down-to-earth TLC in Cape Town’s CBD.
Suites X 8
The hotel’s spacious signature open-plan suites located on the 2nd Floor enjoy luxury features like standalone baths incorporated into the bedroom as well as separate en suites with showers. Some suites have access to private outdoor balconies for warm-season relaxation. Room dimensions: 28 – 31sqm, depending on suite layout. All rooms have a king size bed, bath and separate shower.
Deluxe family room x 10
Slightly larger than Deluxe, these rooms are ideal for a small family and include a twin bedroom plus an additional sleeper couch that sleeps one child (12 years and younger). There is a separate en-suite with bath and shower. Room dimensions: 27sqm.
Deluxe room x 78
Designed to offer ample space and natural light these rooms feature separate frosted glass-walled en suites with separate bath and shower, or shower only options. All have twin or queen size beds and there are 4 interleading Deluxe/Family Deluxe rooms and a specially equipped deluxe wheelchair-friendly room. Room dimensions range from 22 – 25sqm.
Single room x 11
These cosy, compact rooms are designed for comfortable single occupancy and are best suited for short stays and ‘come and go’ overnighting. They include double bed, luxury en suite shower, basin vanity and toilet. Room dimensions: ± 12sqm.
On Site Facilities
- Family rooms
- Conference centre
- Private parking is available in the adjacent parking garage. It is on a first come first serve basis and is chargeable.
- Air conditioning
- Free internet usage & Wi-Fi
- International direct dialling
- Tea/coffee making facility
- Minibars stocked on request (no mini bar in single room)
- Complimentary bottled water
- 24-hour room service
- Bathing toiletries
- Ironing facility available on request
- Alternative pillow-type available on request
- Double-glazed soundproof windows
- Electronic wall safe
- Flat screen remote control colour TV sets
- Satellite (cable) channels
- Paraplegic/wheelchair-friendly room available
- Lift/ramp access to all rooms and facilities
- 4 interleading rooms available
From Cape Town International Airport
- After leaving the airport, follow the sign to the N2 in the direction of Cape Town
- Follow N2 to Newmarket Street in the Foreshore. Take the Strand Street exit from Nelson Mandela Blvd/N2
- Merge onto Settlers Way/N2
- Keep right to continue on De Waal Drive/N2
- Keep right to continue on Nelson Mandela Blvd/N2
- Take the Strand Street exit
- Continue on Newmarket St. Take Castle Street, Buitenkant Street/M59 and Albertus Street to Corporation Street in Cape Town City Centre
- Use the left lane to merge onto Newmarket Street
- Use the 2nd from the left lane to turn left onto Castle Street
- Keep right to stay on Castle Street
- Continue onto Buitenkant Street/M59
- Turn right onto Albertus Street
- Turn left onto Corporation St (Number 60; destination will be on your right)